Waited 2 months, 3 weeks and 1 day for our referral! (but who's counting?)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Retort

To the person who said: "I could never love a child who is not my own". To you, I have a 2-fold answer. First, thank goodness for a child that you figured that out before you decided to adopt. Second, you make me sad for you. I have 4 children. ALL of them are MINE, my very own. I matters not how they came into our family. They are MINE. They always will be MINE. I love them all and could not love them more whether they have or have not any DNA connection back to me or my husband.

We have not met Mesfin, face-to-face yet. However, I can tell you he is loved by our family. He will continue to be loved by our family. He IS our family, just as Judson, Sawyer and Ansley are our family. From what I am being told, his personality is a perfect match for our family. (full of spunk and a joy for life and a clown) How could you not love him?

The person who actually said this to me, doesn't actually read this blog. So, I told her part of the retort face to face. However, upon further reflection, I realized I didn't tell her all. So I write this down so that next time I run across this person or one like her, I can tell that person more of my feelings. I mean, why not. She, ever so uninvited, told me her feelings.

For those who don't read our family blog, I sometimes get up on my soapbox and spout off. This is one of those times. I'll come back down now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you love Ansley any less because she is Asian? Do you love Mesfin any less because he is African? It is ridiculous to think that people think like that. My children are mine, biological and adopted. That's just the way it is.
Like you I feel sad for those who don't feel that way. And the person who said that to you is someone who really needs an education in love.
Your new little guy is an absolute cutie! I hope you get to travel soon.

Mark & Mel Harpold said...

AMEN and AMEN! Couldn't have said it better! It is a shame that some people feel the need to say things like this to AP's! There is no way they could love an adopted child as their own, only because they don't allow themselves the opportunity! We love our children all the same...some grew in my belly....some grew in my heart!
Either way...they are mine!!

Mel
www.ouradoptionstory-blessed.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

you go girl! we are so excited for you!

Ally's Corner said...

I hate to say this, but it's just the beginning of things said to you.
When I'm out with Alana I get nothing said to me compared to when I'm with Anna. Just wait until people make it about color.

Sarah k said...

AMEN! You know it!!! Thank you for your wonderful and TRUE thoughts about these children being OURS!!!!
Of course he's yours! GEESH people.. grow up and stop thinking so non dimentionally!!